The Hockey Hall of Fame is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Dedicated to the history of ice hockey and it is both a museum and a hall of fame. It holds exhibits about players, teams, National Hockey League records, memorabilia and NHL trophies including the Stanley Cup. Originally in Kingston, Ontario, the Hockey Hall of Fame was first established in 1943 under the leadership of James T. Sutherland. The first class of honored members was inducted in 1945, before the Hall of Fame had a permanent location. It moved to Toronto in 1958 after the NHL withdrew its support for the Kingston location. Its first permanent building opened at Exhibition Place in 1961. In 1993, the Hall was relocated to a former Bank of Montreal building in downtown Toronto, where it is presently located.
The Hockey Hall of Fame is an outstanding combination of treasured artifacts, multi-media exhibits, interactive games, a showcase for hockey’s Honored Members and, of course, home of the Stanley Cup. Its focus reaches internationally, in part due to a partnership with the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), but primarily due to the incredible growth of the game around the world. As the future unfolds, the Hockey Hall of Fame will continue to entertain and educate fans from all parts of the globe, all served with the common thread of excellence.
An 18-person committee of players, coaches and others meets annually in June to select new honorees, who are inducted as players, builders or on-ice officials. In 2010, a subcategory was established for female players. The builders’ category includes coaches, general managers, commentators, team owners and others who have helped build the game. Honored members are inducted into the Hall of Fame in an annual ceremony held at the Hall of Fame building in November, which is followed by a special “Hockey Hall of Fame Game” between the Toronto Maple Leafs and a visiting team. As of 2011, 251 players (including two women), 100 builders and 15 on-ice officials have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
The first curator of the new Hall of Fame was Bobby Hewitson. Following Hewitson’s retirement in 1967, Lefty Reid was appointed to the position. Reid was curator of the Hockey Hall of Fame for the next 25 years, retiring in 1992. Following Reid’s retirement, former NHL referee-in-chief Scotty Morrison, who was the president of the Hockey Hall of Fame since 1986, was appointed curator. Morrison supervised the relocation of the Hall of Fame and its exhibits. The current curator is Phil Pritchard.
The Hockey Hall of Fame is led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bill Hay and Jeff Denomme the President, Chief Operating Officer and Treasurer.
The Hockey Hall of Fame is operated as a non-profit business and is open to the public 362 days a year. For more information, visit www.hhof.com